Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I am not enough. But it's more than okay.

A friend of mine recently reminded me of this Ann Voskamp post. It was so timely for me and I thought it was worth sharing here, in case anyone struggles with guilt like I do. 

I find it utterly terrifying that I am the only Jesus my kids see right now (besides their Daddy, but he's way better at it than me) on a regular basis. The guilt of not being Christlike weighs on me so heavily at times and I just don't know how my kids will ever see Him in me. There is too much wrong with me, and although I am working on it, I mess up more often than I should. And then the guilt comes and brings me down.

Here is a quote from the blog post, but I recommend reading the whole thing:

"Your sin can’t separate you (or your child) from Christ.
Your Father is bigger than your failures, your flesh and your faults.
And your strengths can’t save you (or your child) in Christ.
Your ego, your excellence and your efforts won’t ever be big enough to be a Savior.
Your sins aren’t enough to keep your child from God and your strengths aren’t enough to get your child to God.
Your sins aren’t enough to keep you from God and your strengths aren’t enough to get you to God.
Your sins aren’t enough to destroy your life and your strengths aren’t enough to determine your life.
Your sins aren’t enough to separate you – and your strengths aren’t enough to save you.
That’s the bottom line: Your sins aren’t enough and your strengths aren’t enough. You are not enough — for this parenting gig, this marriage relationship, this homeschooling year, this work project."

And, as she points out, this also applies to all aspects of life, not just parenting.

Be encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you're thinking!