I think born-again Christians can all agree that we are saved by grace alone. That none of us are going to heaven because of something special that we've done. I'm pretty sure that across the board, we'd all agree that the only thing ensuring our place in heaven is Jesus' blood.
So if we all agree that we've gotten saved by grace alone, why are we looking at others to see if what they 'do' fits our standard of godliness?
So if we all agree that we've gotten saved by grace alone, why are we looking at others to see if what they 'do' fits our standard of godliness?
Why are women looking at others to see how they're planning/not planning their families?
Why are we looking at women to see how they're dressing/not dressing?
Why are we judging each others' choices to homeschool/public school?
Why are kids being taught to look at others as their measuring stick, or worse, looking to see if others measure up?
Why do we care what other people do?
I think it's our human tendency to not want to deal with the gross stuff in our own lives, but rather start picking at other people. And we all have junk in our lives, even the ones who pretend not to.
It's a way for us to feel superior. It makes us feel better about ourselves to think that we have it all together while others do not. That somehow, we've arrived at a holy place and now it's our God-given duty to ensure others are just as holy. Instead of examining what's in my own heart, it's easier to point fingers and tell others how they should be examining their hearts. It's an easy way for me to ignore the stuff in my own life that needs to be judged. Because let's face it, no matter how hard I try, I am never going to get anyone else to change. Not that I have the ability to really change myself either, but at least I can take my own junk to the Lord and let Him deal with it. I can't take anyone else's to the Lord for them. So if I'm truly concerned wouldn't the answer be to pray for them rather than trying to play the part of the Holy Spirit in their life?
I think it's our human tendency to not want to deal with the gross stuff in our own lives, but rather start picking at other people. And we all have junk in our lives, even the ones who pretend not to.
It's a way for us to feel superior. It makes us feel better about ourselves to think that we have it all together while others do not. That somehow, we've arrived at a holy place and now it's our God-given duty to ensure others are just as holy. Instead of examining what's in my own heart, it's easier to point fingers and tell others how they should be examining their hearts. It's an easy way for me to ignore the stuff in my own life that needs to be judged. Because let's face it, no matter how hard I try, I am never going to get anyone else to change. Not that I have the ability to really change myself either, but at least I can take my own junk to the Lord and let Him deal with it. I can't take anyone else's to the Lord for them. So if I'm truly concerned wouldn't the answer be to pray for them rather than trying to play the part of the Holy Spirit in their life?
I agree that if there is rampant sin in one's life, his/her friends must draw alongside to help. There can be accountability. There is bearing one another's burdens. I also believe that sharing our convictions is a good thing and a way to stir up others to think as well. Sometimes though, the spirit in which these convictions are shared does not always come from a place of love, but rather a place of judgment, a holier-than-thou attitude.
Where is the grace? The love?
"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."
John 13:35
This was said after Jesus washed the disciples' feet. I wonder if He expects us to wash each others' feet rather than nitpicking over the trivialities? I feel like this is where Christians have truly failed and all of us are guilty. How can we really expect anything else from our rotten, human hearts?
If grace has carried us to the foot of the cross, to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, then this same grace is surely able to carry us through being transformed into His likeness. I believe this grace can also help us love each other as He loves.
John 13:35
This was said after Jesus washed the disciples' feet. I wonder if He expects us to wash each others' feet rather than nitpicking over the trivialities? I feel like this is where Christians have truly failed and all of us are guilty. How can we really expect anything else from our rotten, human hearts?
If grace has carried us to the foot of the cross, to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, then this same grace is surely able to carry us through being transformed into His likeness. I believe this grace can also help us love each other as He loves.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up..." 1 Thess. 5:11
Makes me think of this verse: "Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?" Gal. 3:3
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, comparison is a tremendously common and destructive thorn in the flesh for me. Really, it's just lies whispered in our ear either to make us feel superior (pride) or to condemn us - neither of which come from God.
Great reminder, Laura.
I just love your blog. I think every time you write something it's to personally convict me of my own stuff- that always happens! Great reminder, great post.
ReplyDelete