Summer is over, but what a lovely summer it was! Anyone who knows me, knows that summer and I do not get along. But this summer was the first summer I have truly enjoyed since I was a kid. Normally I am gunning for it to be over already; this year I was sad to see it go and could have used another two weeks to relax. I wonder if it's because it was our first summer of being homeschoolers. Just the idea that we could all sleep in, get up at our leisure, and not have to pull out the books, made summer seem like dream-land.
Anyway, now we've started up homeschooling again. Fun summer aside, it was nice to get back to a routine and dive into some new books. Plus I am teaching someone to read for the very first time in my life and how exciting (overwhelming) is that?!
Our first week of school was good, but we've been facing some country-life obstacles, which kind of cast a dark shadow over our week. On Monday, we realized that our water pressure was getting weak. And then the water altogether disappeared. On Tuesday, the plumber came and diagnosed the problem: a broken water pressure tank. On Wednesday, he ordered a new tank from the big city (AKA Halifax). On Thursday, he came and replaced it.... BUT come to find out, not only did our pressure tank need replacing, but we actually have no water left in our well. For a city girl like me, who has always had on-demand water, this was a shock. So all week, when we had no water and thought it was our pressure tank, I held out hope for when it was fixed and I could finally tackle those mountains of laundry and dishes. Finding out that there's actually no water was crushing. I didn't know the summer had been that dry. I was really, really low last night.
You can tell me that it's a first-world problem and I will agree with you. You can tell me that I am a complainer and I should just rally and do what needs to be done (ie. dragging water up from the creek, boiling it, and washing dishes in it). You can tell me I need to be supportive of my stressed husband and not harping and whining. I will agree with all of that. But it was so hard to rally, to not complain and whine. I am a girl who leads a simple, quiet life. Anything out of the ordinary rocks my boat. Sometimes even tips it over. I'm ashamed of that, but there it is.
So all of that to say: it has been a good/bad week. Good to get back to the groove, bad because I realize that my attitude still needs so much changing. Just when you think you've gotten a handle on some things, you realize you really haven't made much progress at all.
I will leave you with these first-day-of-school pictures.


Oh my! Not having water is awful! Has it come back on again? What have you been doing for laundry, etc? Feel free to bring some by our place if that helps.
ReplyDeleteOn a happier note: Yay! Bia's learning to read! She looks very happy about starting school:)
Yesterday Lucas hauled a bunch of water from the creek and dumped it in the well. It gave us enough to clean ourselves, do a load of laundry, and run the dishwasher. Thank you so much for the offer.... I think it'll be okay though as long as Lucas keeps hauling water. We just really need rain! That's the only thing that will resolve the issue unfortunately.
DeleteDude. I think we might be related somehow. I am sorry to hear about the water issues- while you're right, it is a "first world problem," that doesn't make it not a problem, you know? Your family needs water and to be kept clean just like anyone else! It's so hard to be forced out of comfort and rally- I am literally the worst when things come up. I crumble so easily EVERY time. I guess what I'm saying is, you're not alone, and I can relate completely. In the meantime, if you do go to Joy's, squeeze that little baby of hers for me!
ReplyDelete