I feel like mothers who have boys really have a special calling. It is so, so different with my sons than it is with my daughter. With my girl, I just get her. I understand how she plays and how she thinks and I just feel like I have really good instincts with knowing how to raise her because I'm a girl too. With my boys though, I feel really out of my depth sometimes. They are so different from me and knowing how little I've been able to read Lucas' mind these last eleven years (ha!), it kind of terrifies me a little bit as they get older, with puberty on the horizon. I think as a mom I can really strongly influence how my sons are going to be as men, but I also think it's important to let them be boys, and to find a way to understand that the way they're acting isn't necessarily bad, it's just that they're being boys. There have been so many times when I literally stand there, mouth gaping at their antics and Lucas with either a) be laughing or b) be saying something like, "Relax, they're boys!" Speaking of which, he's got a lot more of an instinct with how to raise them, simply because he gets them. So I think another thing as a mom of boys is that it's important to really listen to what my husband is saying to me about them. Chances are, he's probably right. Which is sometimes galling, but that's a story for another time. :)
I'm just trying so hard to be a good mom to my boys. Although I feel like I fail every single
Anyway, if you're one of the blessed MOB's like I am, you will find this website very helpful. I especially liked these two articles:
http://www.themobsociety.com/2012/10/three-ways-a-mother-can-negatively-impact-her-boys/
http://www.themobsociety.com/2012/10/10-things-ive-learned-since-becoming-a-boy-mom/
The second one is more light-hearted and had me giggling. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you're thinking!