Monday, November 5, 2012

Hope for the Weary Mom.

Okay, so I've recommended books before and I've pointed out really great blogs and blog posts, but my friends, you have got to read this new book I just finished reading!! It is definitely a book for moms, so if you're not a mom, it's probably not the book for you. And if you're a weary, downtrodden, discouraged mom, it is absolutely the book you want to read! Right now it is only an e-book, which you can download for only $4.99, but I believe they're going to put out a paperback version soon, which I am going to buy as soon as I can! I read the e-book, but there is something to be said for holding a book in your hands. I'm not entirely sold on the whole electronic book thing yet. Maybe I will get there someday, but right now I kind of doubt it. Aaaaaaaaand, I just went to amazon to get you the link, and realized the paperback version is available so why did I read the e-book at all?? How annoying!

ANYWAY. The book. It was written by two weary moms and it is literally the two of them pouring their hearts out in a way that makes you feel like you're sitting with them, sobbing into your coffee together. I have not read a book to date that made me feel so completely understood and validated as a mom. This is not a how-to-parent book. It is not a book on how to pamper yourself or how to make more time for mommy. It is simply two women shining the light of understanding on the feeble, weary hearts of mothers. I literally bawled my way through each chapter, and read the whole thing in one sitting. My heart kept saying, "YES!" over and over and never has something resonated so deeply with me. I am not one to read a book more than once, but I know this will be read and re-read. If you are a mom and you feel at all weary, you need to read this book.

The authors don't tell you what you can do to be a better mom, (although there is one small part in which they offer suggestions for relaxation) but instead they point the reader to the only One who can give hope. They gently remind you that it is in the very brokenness and "I can't-ness" that God meets us and lifts us up. They state very firmly that we, as moms, cannot change our children, and our hope does not lie in the perfect parenting formula, but in God Himself. He is the only one who can change the hearts of our children. The trying, exhausting times we face is how He chooses to change us.

Beautiful, beautiful book. Read it now.

2 comments:

  1. On your recommendation and out of total and complete despair and desperation, I bought this eBook today on Amazon. IT IS AMAZING. I'm only four chapters in, but it is like balm to my soul. I love it and I am so thankful for you sharing. Thank you so much, Laura.
    - Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joanna! I have been in a blog rut, and only noticed and published your comment just now! I'm so glad you are enjoying the book and I agree, it is certainly balm for a weary mama-soul. I feel your pain and I know, I have so been in that desperate state too. It isn't easy, but isn't it wonderful to know that God cares deeply for us and our children?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you're thinking!