Friday, July 29, 2011

To Aunt Sharon.

You were always there. The safe one I sat with at a shower where I knew no one else. You took an interest in everyone's life and always wanted to know the latest scoop. You loved telling stories and, unintentionally or not, never failed to make everyone laugh. I never felt awkward around you, no matter how much time had passed since I'd last seen you. If anyone planned a family event, we could guarantee that you would be there, because you loved family. You loved all of us and I don't think we even knew how much.

Aunt Sharon, if I could talk to you right now, I would tell you that I love you. I wish I had spent more time with you when you were alive and well, that I had taken the time to really get to know you. I didn't know that you wouldn't always be here... I think most of us took you for granted. Please forgive us, it's just that we thought we'd have you forever.

When I saw you in the hospital a few weeks ago, I couldn't believe that you still had your humour. You were the one sitting there, so sick, making the rest of us laugh. Telling us how you found a way to make sure you got your favourite hospital food veggie burger. You had a way of telling a story that was just so witty and funny. That day at the hospital, you were still Aunt Sharon. I was so relieved because you see, even though this wretched sickness was stealing away your physical body, it never stole your spirit. You fought back at it tooth and nail and I will forever remember your strength. It is an inspiration to all of us.

Aunt Sharon, you knew you were going to heaven. It would have been wonderful to have you here with us for many more years to come, but I am so glad that you are not suffering anymore. I know you are having a great time up there and I absolutely cannot wait to talk to you again and tell you all the things I wish I had told you here.

I will love you always and forever miss you. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you're thinking!