I am not a big music-listener, but once in a while I hit upon a song that I just love and will listen to a million times over. Recently I discovered "I Heard the Bells On Christmas Day" by Casting Crowns. (Who says I've been listening to Christmas music in October? Ahem.) This group didn't actually write the song; it's actually an old classic that I never heard before. There is a story behind it, which you can read about here, and you should also scroll down that page and read the lyrics as they are beautiful.
The older I get, the more I realize just how broken our world is and the only thing that makes sense in this broken, confused world, is God Himself. I feel it so deeply in my soul: He is there and He cares. I think that's why this song resonates with me. Have a listen, and if you're like me, you'll need a tissue.
Update: I had placed a Youtube video here, but it sounded grainy on my blog, so I think you should just go to this link and listen to it there.
This has been my favourite Christmas song for a long time. I love the line, "Then peeled the bells more loud and deep, God is not dead nor doth he sleep" It gets me every time.
ReplyDeleteWow Laura! What a beautiful song! I love those words - "God is not dead, nor doth He sleep" - just wow! I just recently had an unsaved friend question me on this: If Jesus is good then why all the bad in the world? He is still in control and love wins!
ReplyDelete