"Train up a child in the way he should go
and when he is old he will not depart from it."
- Proverbs 22:6
Sometimes I feel that parenting is like a boat, and all the other parents are safely on it with their kids, while I frantically try to swim to catch up, with my kids barely hanging onto me. The water is cold, choppy and very uncertain and I'm pretty sure my kids and I are going to drown. Okay, maybe that sounds over dramatic, but that is honestly how I feel sometimes. I think the one thing I hate most about parenting (don't worry, there are things I love about it, too) is that there is no way of knowing. There is no way to gauge if my yelling is going to turn them into wife beaters (oh yes, you wouldn't believe the things I worry about!), or if our chosen means of discipline is the one that is truly teaching them, or whether they are going to turn into monsters or brain surgeons. So many unanswerable questions. I just don't know. And that is what drags me down. When I see them throwing a fit, I wonder if it's because I yelled at them one too many times. When I see them hitting, I wonder if I've created someone who will never be able to control their anger. If they fight, I fear they will never love one another.
I think I am way too hard on myself. Slowly I have been coming to the realization that there are two gauges to at least somewhat know if I am doing the right thing. One is my husband. He is quick to encourage me and gently show me where I need to change. He tells me I am a good mother, and he would know. He is the only one who truly sees how I mother our kids. The other gauge is the Lord. Which brings me to the verse I quoted above. I think, if I am really praying for my kids (like really praying, not just sending up a prayer to get through this next tantrum), if I am making my best effort to tell them about God, to tell them how to be loving, to apologize to them when I do yell, then everything will be okay. I only have today anyway and tomorrow, I believe, will take care of itself. I need to seriously do my part, to honestly make an effort to show them how much I love them and correct them when they do wrong. This is it. This is all I have to do. I tend to over-complicate things and I want a result NOW. I want them to behave like adults now. But they're not. They're still babies. When I think about how patient God is with me, I should be very humbled indeed.
SO... the verse above has been speaking to me, like I said. If you really think about it, it's actually really simple. Train them. When they are old (not children), they won't depart from what you've taught. I always get hung up on the particulars, and drive myself crazy over-thinking things and then getting caught up on guilt when I do mess up. I am not perfect and have never claimed to be. But for some reason I have always expected my kids to be. It sounds ridiculous, but it's true. I think really what it boils down to is that parenting is hard work. I balk at it. I don't feel like it. It isn't easy so it's easier to just let it go. No one ever tells you just how hard it is going to be, and I wish people were more honest about it. I'd rather hear from someone, "Yes, my son throws tantrums at six years of age and this is how we deal with it", rather than, "My kids don't throw tantrums!" Sorry, I am starting to rant and that's not the point of this post!
Anyway, that is what I have been learning. I have such a long way to go, but I am trying.
I think I am way too hard on myself. Slowly I have been coming to the realization that there are two gauges to at least somewhat know if I am doing the right thing. One is my husband. He is quick to encourage me and gently show me where I need to change. He tells me I am a good mother, and he would know. He is the only one who truly sees how I mother our kids. The other gauge is the Lord. Which brings me to the verse I quoted above. I think, if I am really praying for my kids (like really praying, not just sending up a prayer to get through this next tantrum), if I am making my best effort to tell them about God, to tell them how to be loving, to apologize to them when I do yell, then everything will be okay. I only have today anyway and tomorrow, I believe, will take care of itself. I need to seriously do my part, to honestly make an effort to show them how much I love them and correct them when they do wrong. This is it. This is all I have to do. I tend to over-complicate things and I want a result NOW. I want them to behave like adults now. But they're not. They're still babies. When I think about how patient God is with me, I should be very humbled indeed.
SO... the verse above has been speaking to me, like I said. If you really think about it, it's actually really simple. Train them. When they are old (not children), they won't depart from what you've taught. I always get hung up on the particulars, and drive myself crazy over-thinking things and then getting caught up on guilt when I do mess up. I am not perfect and have never claimed to be. But for some reason I have always expected my kids to be. It sounds ridiculous, but it's true. I think really what it boils down to is that parenting is hard work. I balk at it. I don't feel like it. It isn't easy so it's easier to just let it go. No one ever tells you just how hard it is going to be, and I wish people were more honest about it. I'd rather hear from someone, "Yes, my son throws tantrums at six years of age and this is how we deal with it", rather than, "My kids don't throw tantrums!" Sorry, I am starting to rant and that's not the point of this post!
Anyway, that is what I have been learning. I have such a long way to go, but I am trying.
Oh Laura, I'm pretty sure you know that you wouldn't have believed anyone if they told you how hard parenting was before you had kids. I know I didn't.
ReplyDeleteI try not to dwell too much on what may happen in the future. I know I have one child in particular I can see getting into lots of trouble, but I'm not going to focus on that. I know you know this and it isn't what you should strive for, but remember that the Lord doesn't even need us. In my case, I had NO correct parenting as a child and I did many things as a teenager that would give most Christian parents a heart attack. Yet the Lord showed grace to me and cleansed me from all of that. Now as an adult I seek to please Him, NOT because my parents trained me, but because I am His. The Lord knows your heart and desire... your kids will also see your heart.
I agree that my training will not save my kids! But I also feel that if I am constantly displaying a bad attitude, and have no patience, etc. that it will have a direct effect on them and may even hinder what the Lord is trying to do in their hearts. I think that with knowledge comes responsibility. I might know better than my parents or grandparents on how to raise a loving family, so I need to use this "knowing better" to not repeat the same mistakes they made. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I need to work on myself, and let God work on my kids. But in working on myself, I think it has a direct impact on my kids. I might not see it now, but I will later.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your input. I always love hearing from you! :)
Dear Laura,
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog, and I just want to encourage you... we all have terrible days where we wouldn't want anyone to see us, or how our children are acting, or even how we are relating to our husbands and children. However, the Lord continues to give more grace, even through -maybe especially- through our failures. Because then, that's when we acknowledge that we really CAN'T do this parenting thing, or be "good", but that we need Him, and His grace to carry us through. "...for My strength is made perfect in weakness..." Daily I fail with my children, and see my own -and their- imperfections. We all are sinners -simply saved by grace. We are no different in the flesh. The only way to live differently is to let "Christ in me" shine through... and that is also a daily struggle. "If any man will follow me, let him deny himself, take up his cross (daily) and follow me..." Sounds like lots of work to me... but He knows, and allows our struggles and failures to make us more like Himself, and He knows what is best for us, even when we don't understand why we are having to fail or struggle. We will not attain perfection until heaven, so be encouraged, you're being "conformed" to the image of God's Son, even when you don't "feel" like it! He isn't finished with any of us until He takes us home!! Much love and prayer! Debbie
Thank you, Debbie :)
ReplyDelete