...My point of this post was to talk about some verses I read today, which seemed hand-picked by the Lord to tell me where I'm going wrong...
“Will any one of you who has a servant plowing or keeping sheep say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and recline at table’? Will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare supper for me, and dress properly, and serve me while I eat and drink, and afterward you will eat and drink’? Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded? So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.’” Luke 17:7-10
When I think of where He came from and what He did, I can see clearly that I have no right to complain. Yes, I've been given a very large task - raising three little people into semi-normal human beings. But because I know (or strive to know) what He went through down here, I know that His heart is filled with empathy for me. He isn't just idly up in heaven expecting me to do what He hasn't already done. I believe with my whole heart that He is here right beside me, encouraging me in His gentle voice through verses like the ones above. This morning I prayed that there would be a verse in my Bible-reading that would remind me that what I'm doing is not in vain. He heard me.
The servant does what's expected of him because that is what he is: a servant. There is a job to do and he gets it done. So no, there are no rewards or accolades. Not now anyway. Maybe someday in heaven there will be. But that is not why I'm doing it. I'm doing it because it's what's required of me. One day, sometimes one moment, at a time.
Yes. And amen. That's all I can say!
ReplyDeleteExcellent thoughts Laura. Really encouraging. Yes, he was the only one who came back. Its amazing how patient the Lord Jesus was amidst it all, wonderful too, that He is our Righteousness!
ReplyDeleteDad xoxoxo